Thursday 6 November 2014

What is Myotonic Dystrophy?

I couldn't decide whether to write an introduction to Dregan and our family, or Myotonic Dystrophy first. I have decided to write about the disorder, as most of you reading this early on in our journey will already know Dregan!

So, WHAT is Myotonic Dystrophy?
Myotonic Dystrophy (DM) is a genetic disorder, that affects many parts of the body. Unlike other Muscular Dystrophies, it doesn't only affect the muscles, it also affects the Heart, Lungs and Gastrointestinal system. In its more severe form, it affects the Brain. 

Muscular Dystrophy is the umbrella term for over 35 different Neuromuscular disorders - DM is one such (less well known) disorder. It is said to be the most common form diagnosed in ADULTS, and symptoms generally start to show themselves in 20's/30's +. The more severe form of DM is CONGENITAL Myotonic Dystrophy, which is symptomatic from birth, this is the form Dregan has.

DM is one of the most complex disorders known, and it has unique mechanistic features. If you are diagnosed with the disease, one of your parents DOES have it - even if they have not shown any symptoms as yet. There is a 50% chance of the disorder being passed to any children you may have, and in the same way, any full siblings you have also have a 50% chance of inheriting the gene. Recent research has suggested that every person who has the gene can be traced back to just 2 people thousands of years ago!!

So why is it so unknown? 
One of the features of DM is that is called 'Anticipation' - this basically means that the disorder seems to get worse through each generation it is passed on, and so the family may have no idea they carry the gene until a child with severe difficulties is born - as is the case with Dregan. You often find that great grandparents may show no symptoms at all until their old age, where they may get cataracts. This is often ignored, as cataracts in the eyes are very common in the elderly anyway. The Grandparents may start to show mild symptoms in their 50's/60's - but nothing to be overly concerned about. Parents may then start to show symptoms in their 30's, and then the next generation child can be born with the congenital form, and be severely affected from birth.

There is also a bias towards maternal transmission of the congenital form. No-one knows why, as research is still ongoing, but it seems that when a child is born to a mother with the faulty gene, the baby is more likely to inherit CDM. This was the belief until only recently, and it seems from research I have done, it was only realised in approx 2006 that the congenital version could be passed on from the paternal gene. I am still looking into it, but it seems there have only been 6 recorded cases in the years since.... 7 now. This does not mean that there have not been more, but this is all that we have found on record. Research is still ongoing, but on many sites you read, they will say it is only passed on by the mother, which is incorrect.

How does it affect the Genes?
The best way to explain it is how Dregans consultant tried to explain it to him. Imagine you have a Lego set, and the instruction booklet tells you how to make the set. You follow the booklet, you get a perfect model at the end. The booklet is your DNA/Genes and the finished model is you! One of the pages in the booklet (the chromosomes) is repeated over and over again, and the more the page is repeated, the harder it is to complete the Lego set - you can't build the model properly, because the instructions are wrong. Dregans pages are repeated a LOT - we are waiting for the official number, but the Consultant says over 1000 times.

In a more Sciency language: The Genes responsible for DM1 are found in Chromosome 19. Each Chromosome consists of a long chain of chemicals that form DNA. The disease is characterised by stretches (repeats) in this DNA. In healthy people the repeats are between 5-37. 38-50 repeats show you carry the gene, but will never show symptoms, but can pass it on. If you have over 50 repeats you WILL show symptoms in your life and the disease WILL affect you. As mentioned above, Dregan is thought to have over 1000 repeats.

How serious is it?
It is a very serious progressive condition. It is not possible to predict how and when the disease will become symptomatic, however, the younger you are when it begins to affect you, and the more repeats you have, is indicative of how severely you will be affected. 

Putting it into context for Dregan, as this is his blog, he has a very severe form of the disease. The Consultant has been very clear that although it is impossible to say how he will progress, he WILL deteriorate, and he needs close monitoring. He is only 15, and is currently showing almost all the symptoms of the Congenital and later Adult onset disorder. So he is quite progressed already. 

There are no cures for the disorder, or treatments to stop the progression of the disease. You can have Therapies to help with the symptoms, and some medication is available for help with the Myotonia (inability to release muscles). Unfortunately it seems this just masks the symptoms, and doesn't halt progression. We are still in early days, so all this is still being put in place for Dregan, as he has tests and investigations to see what is appropriate.

It is a degenerative, progressive disorder. It doesn't 'kill' you in the way a disease such as Cancer will kill you, but the complications of the heart/lungs/muscle wasting can cause life expectancy to be reduced. In severe cases this is a significant reduction - but that's for another day. Lets not forget the affect it has on day to day living for the person with the disease, and everyone who loves and cares for them. It can have a devastating effect on those it touches. 

So, a long post there, if you have got all the way to the end, give yourself a gold star!!! 

There is LOTS I have missed out on, for more information these websites are very helpful:
http://www.myotonicdystrophysupportgroup.org/
http://www.myotonic.org/

I am sure there will be more to follow, as we learn more and how it is affecting my Bear, but for now, Thanks for taking the time to read.

x












7 comments:

  1. I have Myotonic Dystrophy Type 1 I noticed symtoms when I was 18 but to me it was normal so I didn't get diagnosed till I was 26 I am 32 now. Mine mainly affects my hands and some facial muscles though I think it is starting to affect my legs a little and my hands have gotten worse so I had to quit my job as a Croupier that I had been doing for 13 years. My brother also has it and although his hands are fine his shoulders are very bad. He is 29 and he cannot put his arms above his head or out to the sides. When we went to Florida in January at the airport he had to agree to be frisk searched because he couldn't lift his arms high enough for the x ray machine. I hope some treatment or cure will become available more for Dregan than for me because my symptons are managable and I still enjoy life to the full

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello William, thank you for your comment and sharing your experiences. Are you in the UK? I have set up a website/charity alongside Muscular Dystrophy UK to try and raise funds for research. Since I wrote this there has been some leaps in knowledge and research is underway both in USA and UK. Every day I pray for a cure. in the meantime, treatments to make life a bit easier for everyone. And knowledge to make our encounters with the medical professionals a little less risky! You can see my site here: www.cmmd.uk

    Sending best wishes to you and your family,

    Emma-Jayne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for such a late reply Emma yes I am based in the U.K I live in Blackpool I too pray for a cure they are doing a lot of research which is promising my consultant tried me on some anti epilepsy tablets that he said might help with the myotonia unfortunately I did not notice any difference and we decided to stop taking them my legs are now getting worse and stairs are becoming more challenging but I can still ha did them and although walking is getting harder I can still manage my mum is on at me to apply for a disabled badge for my car but I refuse because I see people struggling to walk more than me and do not wish to use a disabled bay when others need it more

    My love to you and your family I hope Dregan is ok and getting by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello William.

      I hope you are ok. We are originally from Blackpool too! Over the last year we have also met others in that area! Its hard to understand how the diagnosis were all so late!!

      Regarding medication - Dregan is on Carbomazapine which is an anti-epileptic medicine, it has been great for him. If this isn't what you tried maybe it could help. It has completely changed Dregans life. He tried one called Baclofen before this, but that didn't work.
      Also, I would listen to your mum about the badge. With this condition I think it is best to try to stop the fatigue and pain before it happens, and the only way to do this is to make little changes, such as how far you walk to the shops. Those few steps you're saving may help you have more energy and less muscle pain in the evenings - thats how i look at it for Dregan. Are you on facebook? You can find us on this link: https://www.facebook.com/FightFund

      x

      Delete
    2. Well just been told I don't qualify for ESA my neurologist gave me a letter to send which I did they still said I am not disabled enough so minnow looking for work and really struggling because there are a lot of jobs I simply can not do

      Delete
    3. Hi William - I am so sorry to see you're having a hard time. If you would like to, you can email me on emma@cmmd.uk and I can try to point you in the direction of some people who may be able to support you? MDUK have a good advocacy team which can help with benefits and explaining the condition, and also there are some facebook groups which may be of support to you and your family. Take care. Emma-Jayne.

      Delete
  4. to be fair I do have the fatigue but I never get any pain at all from my condition I will mention the medication to my neurologist next time I see him I have my 2 yearly ECG on friday a little annoyed at the moment as even with a letter from my doctor the goverment have decided I don't deserve ESA and some of the jobs they are saying I could do I just know for a fact I simply couldn't one they sent me was traffic warden must be able to walk 10 miles a day are they brain dead I am just going to have to see if someone will give me an office job but with no experience I find it unlikely

    ReplyDelete